Storage can be tricky when designing a home and if it isn’t done correctly, you’ll end up with tons of wasted and unused space. It can pose an especially large challenge when you’re limited by small spaces.
One of our goals as a company is to take our client’s challenges in their home to create custom rooms to fit their individual needs.
Enter our tagline: “We Design and Build Happiness”. Storage is a huge aspect of home customization, particularly in kitchens and bathrooms.
Continue reading, as we invite you to unleash your home’s true storage potential!
The Entryway Storage
Let’s begin with the first destination in your home: the entryway.
An entry table typically serves as a catch-all, but it can be so much more than a place to throw your keys. Small boxes and big baskets are so helpful in the entryway.
A small decorative box is perfect for keys and using a small basket to store mail helps for an organized entryway.
If your entryway has room, a bench of the correct size can not only provide storage but a place for guests to sit to remove shoes. Adding some upper cabinet storage gives you even more space and keeps your everyday items hidden from guests. You can also mount some door hooks for jackets, hats, and scarves.
There are so many ways to get creative when it comes to kitchen storage. If you’re lacking kitchen storage space, let us give you a few space-saving solutions. You’ll just have to rethink those little nooks and you’ll discover the vacant resource of counter space.
Here are some tips + tricks we find to be the most helpful:
- Open kitchen shelves
- A mix of open shelves + traditional upper cabinets
- More cabinet drawers with custom slides + pulls + inserts.
- Drawer organizers for utensils, cutlery, pots/pans, cookie sheets, foil/wrap,
- Pullouts for waste containers + cutting boards
- Pullouts for pantry items like spices, oils + vinegar, & canned goods
- Full-height cabinets for cleaning equipment such as mops + brooms
- Pullouts for tiered organizers to store cleaning products
- A wall rack mounted for kitchen utensils or pots + pans
- Utilize the space above the upper cabinets for plants or decor
- Customize your island and add drawers to store large kitchen appliances
When it comes to organizing your bathroom, it can be overwhelming to tackle but this tedious task has a serious payoff. Out of all the rooms in the house, the bathroom needs to be very clean + sanitary, which can’t happen without proper storage. We’ve found that it always feels like bathrooms don’t have enough storage, but these tips will help!
- Door inserts for jewelry, belts, scarfs, ties
- Pullouts for hairdryer/curling iron with outlet and stainless-steel canisters
- Tiered organizers for grooming products
- Drawer organizers for makeup + grooming products
- If you don’t have cabinets, add shelves below the sink
- Add floating shelves in the smaller nooks
- Add a built-in shower caddy
- Decorative ladder to hang towels
- Small pieces of accent furniture to use for storage
Living Room Storage
Storage space in the living room can be difficult, especially because it’s where you want to maintain a level of formality and comfort. Here are some tips to help you maximize your living room space.
- Built-in Bookshelves
- Use baskets for storing items such as remotes or throw blankets
- Add open shelving
- Get a coffee table with built-in hidden storage
- Add an accent piece that doubles as storage such as a small cabinet or storage ottoman
- Built-in Entertainment center with custom shelving (we accomplished this with a client earlier this year, including a hidden storage door – See below)
Let us note that regularly decluttering is a key step in maximizing your storage space. The best way to declutter your home is to go room-by-room. By decluttering and using our helpful tips and tricks, your home will feel brand new.
Lose the clutter and have peace of mind.
Would you like us to help you discover your home’s storage potential? Give us a call or sign up for a free consultation!
Want to read some more of our Happy Home Blog? Click the links below!